Skip to main content

Difference between Permit C, Permit C + E, Permit C1 and Permit C1 + E

To be a truck driver it is essential to obtain a truck license but depending on the vehicle to be driven, the C license, the C + E license, the C1 license or the C1 + E license is required. In our driving schools in Valencia we prepare to obtain all these driving licenses, although what is popularly known as a truck license actually refers to the C1 driving license, which can be defined as the basic license to be able to drive a truck.

truck driver training

What do the different truck licenses authorize?

The C1 driving license or truck license authorizes the driving of vehicles that exceed 3,500 kg of maximum authorized mass and do not exceed 7,500 kg of maximum authorized mass. They will also be able to carry a trailer of up to 750 kg and transport up to 8 passengers, in addition to the driver. The difference with the C1 + E permit is that it allows to carry a trailer of more than 750 Kg.

The driving license C authorizes the driving of vehicles other than those authorized to drive by the class D1 or D license, whose maximum authorized mass exceeds 3,500 kg that are designed and built to transport no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver. Said automobiles may be hooked up to a trailer whose maximum authorized mass does not exceed 750 kg.

The C + E permit extends the authorization by allowing trucks to be driven with a trailer or semi-trailer whose maximum authorized mass exceeds 750 kg. The C + E permit is commonly known as a trailer license.

Requirements to obtain the C permit, the C + E permit, the C1 permit and the C1 + E permit

Both the C1 driving license and the C1 + E driving license can be obtained at 18 years of age. However, it is a requirement to have the B permit to be able to obtain the C1 permit, and to have this to access C1 + E. On the other hand, to obtain the C permit it is necessary to be 21 years old and have previously obtained the B permit, being able to obtain it from the age of 18 if the CAP has previously been obtained in its ordinary modality. To obtain the C + E permit, it is essential to have the C permit.

truck licenses

In all cases, it is also essential to pass a specific theoretical test, a practical skill test and a driving test on roads open to traffic. Any driving school in Australia that issues these permits must have its own practice track as is the case with Chris Shilling Transport Training, or an agreement with one. The future truck driver will also have to obtain a medical certificate that validates his psychophysical aptitudes.

What professions require each type of truck license

Those who are interested in the truck license courses in our driving schools in Australia, seek to work in industrial, logistics companies or in national and international road transport companies. The beverage or vegetable delivery trucks seen in cities require, for example, a C1 permit. However, to drive a crane truck you must have a C1 + E license. Trailers with a trailer that transport cars require the C + E permit, although the C permit enables you to drive practically any type of truck.

It should be noted that those who want to act as professional drivers must obtain the CAP or Professional Aptitude Course for Transportation, which also needs to be renewed every five years with the CAP Continuing Training course. At Chris Shilling Transport Training we prepare to obtain both certificates.

Tips for passing CAPS

The transport sector continues to adapt to the changes of an increasingly demanding and professionalized labor market. The result of this is the toughening of the degrees and courses necessary to be part of the backbone of such a competitive and tough sector as transport: We are talking about truck drivers. It is no longer useful to have only the DGT driving license for certain vehicles, training must go further.

truck driving courses

What is needed to be able to transport goods in a truck

11 years ago, anyone who obtained the C for trucks and D for buses driving license could work transporting goods or people. Since 2008, the approval of the so-called CAP, the certificate of professional aptitude, is also required, the result of the Australian regulation that was given the green light. Contact Chris Shilling Transport Training for more info.

The CAP is a certification that accredits the professional aptitude of the person who has approved it and is usually taught simultaneously to the classes to obtain the driving licenses for heavy vehicles (C and D). The Australian directive also requires a CAP recycling training every 5 years.

What is the Objective? That professional drivers are increasingly qualified and adapted to the demands that appear every day in the road transport sector. This leads to better quality and safety of traffic.

3 tricks to pass the CAP

  • Enroll in the CAP course and in obtaining the corresponding permit (C or D) at the same time. In this way, the study time and the obtaining of the qualifications will be reduced. In addition, as they are very similar subjects, they will better complement the bulk of the study.
  • Study the contents and put the knowledge into practice. It is vital to emphasize practices so that future drivers are able to put themselves in the situation and study how best to act in the face of different types of scenarios and realities.
  • Do not base your study on tests. Study, summarize, internalize, practice and then take the tests.